Tuesday, March 20, 2007

300


A couple of days ago we went to see 300. Unfortunately the IMAX version was already sold out so we settled for the 'regular' one. 300 is based on Frank Miller's comic books (remember Sin City) and also a bit on that other small book 'Homerus' ;-)). Just like Sin City, 300 uses the same cinematographic technique: real acting in front of blue and green screens and all the other content is added later on by computer. What's a bit special about this film is (and bet you didn't know this) is that this film is kinda a Québec film. The film was entirely shot in some old warehouse in Montréal (as a soundstage) and all the CGI were developed and added in Québec (so not on Skywalker Ranch or something).
The film is just COOL! It's visually stunning, got liters of virtual blood splashing of the screen, lots of action and adrenaline going and some nudity (hurray for that)! Ok, it's not always grand acting, the story is a tidbit over the edge, the actors look like they're on steroids (T. thought it was a gay movie) and Gerard Butler (the lead actor, playing the part of Leonidas, remember the chocolates?) has a slight lisp ... but most importantly: the flick is ÜBERCOOL!
I already wanna go back for the IMAX version!

Besides that, my knee kept on aching and to put an end to my doubts and to bore my readers no longer with complaints about my knee, I decided to go see a doctor. But since we do not have a family physician yet, and most of them don't take new patients and the ones that do give you an appointment only a month later, I went to the Emergency of the Sir Mortimer B Davis Jewish General Hospital. (what's in a name, right?). A bit of an old hospital with no clear signs or indications what to do (unlike
Gasthuisberg ) but also a teaching hospital (so just like Gasthuisberg). I soon figured out I had to go to triage first were a nurse determines the urgency of your problem. In my case: I could sit there all day. I also was kinda apologetic about it. I mean, I didn't wanna claim my priority if you have other people around you with respiratory problems or or elderly folks that come in with chest pains. Anyway, you're given a number and when your number is called, you have to go to the registration desk to take all you personal details down.
Since I have no provincial health insurance, but a private one, the hospital might send me and invoice and then I have to claim it back. But they might send it to my insurance as well since it's Canadian insurance. Anyway, unlike the US, you need to have health insurance in Canada and all Canadian residents have a provincial or state medical insurance and usually employers offer, as perks, extra health insurance benefits. But since I got a private insurance, I am completely covered, also hospital. Of course, these things don't come cheap, but when I saw a visit to the E.R. costs about 500 $ CAN and the 24hours rate (in case you need to stay) is about 2000 $ CAN, I was really glad my ass (and every other body part) was covered!
Anyway, after registration, I waited for 2,5 hours (not too bad considering HUMO was keeping me company), and then was finally called for.
One of the residents checked my knee (I wished I was wearing a more sexy boxershort), called in another doctor and he taught her something more about my knee, where the bones fit into eachother, how you can feel it, etc. So turned out to be: my miniscus was bruised or teared. If it's on the outside, it will heal properly, if it's more on the inside, I might experience knee problems again when doing sports (yeah, that one time a year!). Worst case scenario: surgery and removing my miniscus.
But for now: ice it 6 times a day (snow and ice are still abundant in Montréal) and take inflammatory drugs and afterwards some stretching exercises.
So my first encounter with the Canadian Health system wasn't so bad after all. And I helped teaching a resident (indirectly) to become a successful doctor saving millions of lifes. (If she doesn't go into plastic surgery that is).

My other plans for this week: have a beer with some of my old CSC buddies and get my Québec driver's license on friday (well, merely exchanging my Belgian one for a Québecois).

Oh yeah, I rediscovered Elliot Smith, a very good friend of mine that took me through a lot of exams. And he still sounds great. Still miss you E!

3 Comments:

Blogger pieter said...

let me know if you're up for the imax version!

we hebben zonet 'la moustache' bekeken, over een kerel die na jaren zijn snor afscheert en niemand lijkt het te merken.

11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

buy valium valium yellow round pill - buy valium 10mg

11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your own article οffers provеn hеlpful to mуself.
It’s extremely іnfοгmative and you're simply clearly quite well-informed in this field. You get popped my personal eye for you to different opinion of this specific topic along with intriguing, notable and reliable articles.

Feel free to surf to my webpage - Online.De

11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home