Wednesday, February 28, 2007

The jobhunt is open (again)

Ok, some of you may have heard already: I am leaving CSC (my current job). Not that I really have a new job (yet), but I was just so sick and tired of this job, the company, the nightshifts. I mean, it's kinda difficult to keep motivated for something you hate doing. Especially if your bank account can back you up for a while, so I quit! The exact reasons for me disliking the company can't be published on my blog (since I signed this big secrecy contract and since it's an American company they'll probably sue the shirt of my back for breach of contract), but I'll be happy to explain all the details in a tete-a-tete.

Actually the story is a bit more complicated. I did a couple of good interviews at a cool webdesign agency and they wanna hire me, but not just right now. I think they're waiting for some big contract-deal going down. Unfortunately, I got a mail yesterday that the whole thing is on hold for an undetermined amount of time. So carefully reading between lines: I gotta get myself a new job! Which is a shame really, coz I would've loved working for them, but I guess I shouldn't wait for things happening on their side. (But why do interviews if there is no real job opening?)

Anyway, that means I'll be unemployed *again* and I can start worrying about finding a job all over again. In fact, I did another interview last week, that I miraculously screwed up coz I was too sleepy, not alert enough and wasn't able to show my enthousiasm for the beautiful metier of advertising and my passion for the business and how I'd love to work for their boite. But the blame is on CSC, because if it wouldn't have been for their "Night of the living dead"-shifts, I would've been my normal, bright, stunning me ... Ah well .... we'll see, maybe it wasn't all that bad after all. Carpe diem and some other freaky positive new age shit (did I hear Bond Zonder Naam??)

Good thing about me being home again, is that I can take care of more things around the house. Tinneke seems to be getting in a very stressy final months of work/study at university where she needs to finish a lot of papers, presentations and projects. So she really feels relieved as well that I can take some of the physical duties upon me and give her full moral support instead of hanging in the couch like an ol' grumpy Bigfoot.

So these are my last couple of days at the company, and Tinneke and I will be celebrating this fresh start by an unwinding weekend in Les Laurentides with fine dining, winter fun and lying around the fireplace with a nice glass of Single Malt. So this will recharge our batteries for all the stuff to come.

And 2,5 months from now, we'll be visiting the mothercountry. EE phone home! So I guess we should get our agenda's out and start planning who to see when, coz it'll most likely be a very busy 2 weeks stay. We'll be in Belgium from May 15 until June 3. Tinneke is probably flying down a couple of days earlier for a seminar in Brussels.

And so since, it was my last couple of days, I thought: let's do the utmost Canadian thing for breakfast: let's go to
Tim Hortons. (founded by a Canadian hockey star) So I went for a large coffee double-double (that's coffee lingo for double sugar, double milk), a Timatin (a breakfast sandwich with egg, cheese and a sausage) and a maple syrup glazed donut filled with cream. Their coffee was crap and only lukewarm, the "sandwich" was kinda like an applejack without the apple, very buttery. It kinda looks like a hamburger, coz the so-called "sausage" is actually a burger that tastes like a sausage, or should taste like one, coz the omelette, the processed orange chemical cheese and the sausage where kinda fighting for the Blandness Award, coz I couldn't distinguish if I was eating the cheese now or the egg or the sausage. So after I gobbed the whole thing down, without mustard or ketchup to mask the taste, I thought the donut would bring some highlights to the very disappointing start. But after the wasteland the Timatin left because of the nuclear warfare with my tastebuds, the donut just sought its way to my intestins, not leaving a very lasting impression. Soon after that nausea, upset stomach, and indigestion started kicking in. Time for Pepto Bismol!!

4 Comments:

Blogger Stoffel said...

hey E!
good thing you left the job! i am sure that a great opportunity will arise in the near future! and indeed now you have some time to take care of T, the house and yourself of course! grtz
kd

2:58 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Wow

big changes ahead of you

Er komt wel iets uit de bus, beloofd!

Geniet intussen van je verlof he!! x

6:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erik, het is spijtig dat je eerste werkervaring in canada zo moet aflopen maar als je het fysiek niet aankan is het het beste dat je er mee stopt. Er komen wel meer en betere kansen. Geniet nu maar van je rust alhoewel als huisman zijn kan ook stresserend zijn.
Mama

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

zonder je vorige job zal je nu wel uitgeslapen op sollicitatiegesprekken kunnen gaan en ik ben er zeker van dat je binnen de kortste keren een nieuwe job hebt!
veel succes en groetjes
christophe, eef , rune en marit

en nu, die single malt heeft me op ideeën gebracht!
cheers Erik!

3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home