Monday, February 19, 2007

Where does all the snow go?

Long time since my last post, it seems ...

Well, I'm back on night shifts and that sucks my energy away ... But not for a very long time anymore...

Anyway, Montreal (to be precise other parts of the USA and Canada) was hit by some serious snowstorms last week, and we had 40cm of snow and -30 degrees. Fun fun!

So if a little bit of salt don't keep the roads clean, especially at -30 (it turns it into an ice capade), snow plows can. Some of the snow of it is piled up at the sidewalk, so there is a small walking area and then some 50cm high snow barrier that separates the sidewalk from the road. On parking lots, the snow is piled up into meters high heaps of snow. But on the roads ... well, it just has to get scooped up and taken of. But I was wondering of course, where do those truckloads of snow go to?? Tinneke said it was probably dumped in the St Lawrence River, but I know that's not true coz that snow is heavily polluted and salted from defrosting and it would damage the river's eco-system. So I went on a little quest on the internet and I've learned that the snow is taken to a water treating plant where it is first filtered and eventually released into the river.

if you wanna know more about snow removal in Montreal, check this out. Actually, I could have a very promising future her in snow plowing ;-). No lumberjacking for me, Snowplowing is the real deal!

And to give you some idea how distorted my head is: have you ever wondered why Bananas and Ananas are only different by one letter but still so different fruit wise? I just can't wrap my head around it. Any ideas? There has to be some ethymological explanation...

2 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Bananas and pineapple don't look alike, do they?

And in some Spanish speaking areas they call a banana a "plàtano", so just let it go, Erik :)

The snow-stories are funny.. Can't imagine what it's like to be honest!

And how long will the night shift job go on?

4:12 AM  
Blogger Stoffel said...

reminds me of that joke of ananas-ananas... but that is an old one... wow, being philosophical about snow... wish there was a bit more of it here! i hear you want to go ski with Tinneke! great! we go ski in two weeks as well (M. won a trip with Flair!)
take care

3:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home