Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Midnight Poutine

Because of the anti-inflammatory drugs I take for my knee (that still hurts BTW), I can't drink. And most of you know I like my ale/vino/scotch/mojito. The world is quite different sober :-))
But this weekend, I made an exception coz our friend Eric from Trois-Rivières (or from Joliette, coz he's from Joliette but lives in Trois-Rivières now .... and actually there is only one river in TR ... anyway ... slip sliding away from the topic) came over.

T. needed to interview someone for one of her courses, and Eric volunteered (well, he was promised dinner and so gladly to oblige). Anyway, since we wanted to go out afterwards, I tried not to make a big fuzz about dinner (and that's hard for me). So I went down to Chinatown to buy Peking duck and the works. And since I know Eric is quite the beer lover, I found a couple of good Belgian beers in the SAQ downtown.
So after the interview we sampled some Orval, Maredsous and Chimay Bleu, we had spring rolls, Peking duck in pancakes with spring onions and hoi sin sauce (with a great recipe a nice chinese chef gave me), and some sauteed vegetables (cut with my cool wavy knife from Dollarama).
In the meantime it started snowing again outside .... aaaargh ... so we needed something to comfort ourselves so we headed down to HELM, the brewpub around the corner. Feeling quite better after a pint we went to a bar called Les Passages where our friend Fernanda was having her birthday party. And after a lot of pitchers of Boréale we called it a night.
But not before a midnight poutine (well it was more around 3am) @ La Banquise. This grease spoon is open 24/7 and wacks up the best poutines of Montréal (or so I've heard). Besides the basics: fries, gravy and cheese curds, poutines come in different ways, topped with peppers and mushrooms, chicken and peas, bacon and sausages and I've even heard of poutine with foie-gras! I think poutine is the religion of Québec.
So we finally hit the sack around 4am, and next day .... hangover! (although the poutine sucked up most of it). And what better way to end the hangover day with some retro comfort food: macaroni with cheese & ham!

And before I forget, be sure to visit my brand new myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/29yearsincommunicado

2 Comments:

Blogger Stoffel said...

Funny how you say "I tried not to make a big fuzz about dinner" but then have "spring rolls, Peking duck in pancakes with spring onions and hoi sin sauce (with a great recipe a nice chinese chef gave me), and some sauteed vegetables (cut with my cool wavy knife from Dollarama)"

but of course we all knew erik's kitchen art! take care!
kd

5:10 AM  
Blogger E. Stilker said...

yeah, but I bought the duck roasted already, I just had to heat it up and add the works ...

But I guess you're right ... :-p

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home