Thursday, April 05, 2007

Banks

Probably one of the things I'm still struggling to get used to: banking in Canada.

As I already explained: they charge money for the number of debit transactions on your account unless you maintain a certain balance. But now I discovered what happens if you take out money on an ATM that's not a branch office of your bank. Well, no matter what amount you take out, the ATM charges an extra $1,50 CAN. And at the end of the month, your bank charges you another $1,50 CAN as a service fee coz they had to transfer your money to a different bank. That's complete madness! I mean, once you put money in a bank, you actually have to pay to take it out!

Oh and another thing, I received an invoice from the hospital for my knee (still not OK by the way). And since you can't do a wire transfer to a person or company that doesn't have an account at your bank, you have to pay by cheque. A draft cheque costs $6,50 CAN! Once again you pay to have money taken out of your account, where it's YOUR MONEY in the first place!

The Che-Guevara-inside-me says that we should all cancel our accounts and retake possesion of our money, keep it in the ol' sock, coz frankly what are banks for .... not to serve you but to serve them. Think mortgages, insurances, etc. They're hardly win-win situations .... No no, they win, YOU LOSE!! ALWAYS! But without them you're even more screwed, it's about chosing the lesser evil.
My marketing teacher used to say: "Money is the only real god". I guess he was right after all...

Anyway, it's not that bad yet in Belgium, but I have a couple of sources in the financial world and you'll be getting to that point sooner or later, so buckle up!

Went to see 300 again with some friends in iMAX version ..... it's still AWESOME!

It started snowing and there's a couple of inches of snow all over again ... grrrrrr ...
(BTW: although Canada is officially on the metric system, most people still use inches, pound, feet, etc). But I guess that's a good thing coz on monday we'll be visiting a Sugar Shack (Cabane à sucre). I'll tell you all about it.

We're having a visitor from Belgium over next week, so I'd better start cleaning the house! T. admits I'm way more better than her cleaning the house. Well, I think, WE MEN, are better in anything coz we take pride in whatever we do. Failure is not an option, the winner takes it all, that kinda crap. We just wanna excel. That's why we don't multi-task. Doing 2 things at a time results in a poor overall perfomance.
But then again, I think she was playing reverse psychology on me. So I get to do all the nasty chores.

Sigh! Being unemployed sucks!

2 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

jezus, ik heb hier ook nog wel wat nasty chores die gedaan moeten worden hoor
als je dan toch vindt dat jullie dat zoveel beter doen.. ;)

nee, daarover heb ik niet te klagen hier. S IS gewoon beter in die dingen, ik geef het toe!

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.

5:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home