Wednesday, November 01, 2006

I got a job!

Monday night I was browsing through jobsites and did a random search for the keyword "dutch". One result came out: technical support in a first line helpdesk team.

So I said, what the heck, let's try. So I wrote a letter stating that I had no real experience but that I knew my way around computers. And the next day they called me for an interview. So first I went to the recruitment agency where we had a quick chat and they had set up an interview with their client CSC. So I had a pretty intense interview where I had to troubleshoot computerproblems and do the ol' expectations-motivations talk. Basically they are seeking for Dutch speaking helpdesk agencies working for their European clients. So that means working nightshifts according to European business hours.
And today, I just got a call to say I have the job!! Which is good of course.

But there is also a it of a downside to it: I'm not really interested in helpdesk. And doing nightshifts means I'll be sleeping throughout the day and I won't see T. a lot.
But to the bright side: it's a job! I get a good training, so it's gonna be a brand new experience for me and going to Canada was always gonna be a bit of a leap into the dark. I can't chicken out now, it was always going to be about experiences. And I get to meet new people. And probably the best motivator of all: MONEY!
I'll be doing a probation period for 3 months. So if it's really not my cup of tea, I can always leave. And I can always look for other jobs in the meantime.

Oh, I start on monday, so I'd better enjoy my last days of freedom!

14 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Proficiaaaaaaaat!!!

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey E-man :)

tis de jeroen hier, ik heb net wa ligge rondneuzen op u bloggie en you have a job my friend, well done :)
da maakt de leefsituatie wss weer wat anders maar zoals ge zelf zegt, tzijn de centen die tellen...btw, heb nieuwe cd van Marc Moulin gekocht and don't know if ya like DJ Shadow maar die laatste heb ik ook, beiden excellent!!! tis natuurlijk u blog maar toch even een woordje voor T.(mijn nichtje), we missen u allemaal (E. ook natuurlijk) en kerst zal niet hetzelfde zijn zonder jullie!!!!

Miss you

xxx Cousin J.

1:09 PM  
Blogger IP said...

Congrats Eric!!!! I'm sure u will manage to sleep on work :-p kidding, I hope u will like it, and if not, u can always find something else - ask if some magazines are looking for gastronomical critics! Best job ever :)

4:02 PM  
Blogger Stoffel said...

alrighdy!
it'll at least bring in the essential spending-money! great!

3:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey broerke! amai das goei nieuws van uw nieuwe job!
Veel succes de maandag!
grtjs!

6:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erik

1:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erik, dat is goei nieuws. Dat nachtwerk zal wel meevallen je bent toch al een echte nachtraaf. 't is wel iets anders dan je gewoon bent maar met die opleiding zal het wel lukken. Zo zal je ook je Nederlands niet vergeten. Mama

1:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hela! wat een tof nieuws zeg. 't is niet echt helemaal "je-dat" maar 't is toch maar weer een ervaring extra en nu zijt ge gelanceerd hè.
gewoon ook effe om te zeggen dat we jullie nieuwtjes heel erg graag lezen, veel aan jullie denken en binnenkort eindelijk zullen laten horen hoe het in grimberen-city zit.
groentjes van
hannegeertinge x

2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good work bro!
Binnenkort kan je de local bands gaan steunen met je nieuw geld ;-)
Take care pal, en als er iets is, keep me posted, dan proberen we er iets aan te doen.
Succes met je nieuwe job.

5:53 AM  
Blogger Goedels said...

Hey Erik,

Proficiat met de job! En als je dan toch op Europese uren werkt, kan je ondertussen wat met je Europese vriendjes communiceren. Of zouden ze dat niet appreciëren op het werk? :-)
Groeten,
Goedels

8:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dag Erik,

Gefeliciteerd met je job ! Ben blij voor jou, en succes !

Groetjes, Chris

3:22 AM  
Blogger Gretl said...

Grattis till jobbet!!

Hoppas du överlevde din första dag ;-)

G

11:14 AM  
Blogger MoF said...

congratulations!!!!!!!!

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Stijn W said...

Hey

Ik ben Stijn, een Vlaming die nu ook al enkele weken nieuwkomer is in Montreal. Net als jij toen ben ik op zoek naar werk.

Ik heb een Multimedia opleiding achter de rug in Belgie en ik lees ongeveer dat jij ooit werk hebt gevonden bij een helpdesk waar je nederlands kon spreken.

Ik vroeg me af of je geen MSN hebt, of een email adress zodat we wat kunnen babbelen. Ik vraag me namelijk ook af of hier iets is voor ons vlamingen dat ons een beetje aan thuis doet denken. Zoals de Duitsers hier hun eigen winkels hebben etc.

In ieder geval, je kan me contacteren via www.destijn.com/contact . Dit is de website waar ik men fotos post. Het zal terecht komen in en mailbox (zo hoef ik niet publiek men email adress te posten)

Groetjes,
Stijn W

3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home