Sunday, October 22, 2006

American Saffron

I'm no herbalist in some sort of way. I have an interest in nature that is pure Hobbit-like (seen too much LOTR lately): I especially love plants, trees, greens and vegs when they taste good.

So this weekend I bought Saffron to put in the Tajine (thanks a bunch Sarah for the recipe, I added some zuchinni, carrots, chickpeas and toasted almonds, it was great!). When I tasted it, there was no sign of the particular taste. And for the colouring effect ... there simply was no colouring. (although the package claimed it is used for colouring couscous, paella, bouillabaisse)

Guess I should have been suspicious when I bought it; 3,69$ for 26g that's almost for free. But I just thought that I found a good a deal!

So I googled it and American Saffron aka Fake Saffron aka Bastard Saffron aka Saflower is not related in any way to the Spanish Saffron we know. It grows wild and abundant all over the US and Mexico. Apparantly it's use is medicinal especially for digestion problems: it has a laxative effect :-(

So beware of this fake saffron!!

4 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

hihi :))

Wij hebben ook van dat saffraanpoeder, het is in kleine envelopjes verpakt. Dat kleurt soms wel de rijst bv, maar inderdaad: niet the real thing...

toch blij dat het lekker was ;)

2:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hejhej,

Voor de eerste keer op de blog en serieus onder den indruk...

Graaf huis !

Wij komen eens langs !(als de dochter goesting heeft...)

groeten,

Tom

2:55 AM  
Blogger Alrac said...

Well well, remind me of this when you next visit Spain...
I'll be waiting you with loads of Azafrán...

I wonder if I could send some to you??? I can also do that for you if you want.

Un abrazo,
Carla

6:39 AM  
Blogger E. Stilker said...

You know my dad brought me a lot of Saffron from India and I left it in Belgium. Bouhou! I need to get it back!!

12:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home