Monday, November 13, 2006

My new job

Well, it's been a while since my last post. Since I am no longer an unemployed lowlife, but part of hardworking Montreal, I seem to have neglected my cyberspace duties.

Anyways, here is the latest update on my job. My employer is CSC and I am supposed to give first line IT support for UTC (an more specifically for OTIS, an elevator company). In our department we provide support for Belgium, UK, The Netherlands, Italy, France and Switzerland.

Normally, as a freshman you spend 2 weeks in training and 2 weeks doing shadowcalls and testruns. And then you're ready for the job. In my case, since the account is going live pretty soon, I had to skip training and get training on the job. So during my first week they gave me some training documents and presentations I should look through. So that wasn't very exiciting. Especially when working the graveyard shift: from 1am to 9:30 am.
At 6 in the morning the slides kinda fade away and everything turns blurry. And you can only think about the time ticking away and going to bed asap.

And coz everyone is really busy, they don't really have time to actually show me stuff. So it's basically up to me and find out what needs to be done and how. They even didn't tell me friday was casual day. So I was they only guy in business outfit amidst hockeyshirt wearing Canadians. Sigh.

But yesterday one of my colleagues came in 5 hours earlier to explain things throroughly and do some testscenarios (so he was pretending to be a customer and I needed to solve his problem). And for the rest of the night I was doing shadowcalls. (So sitting in on a call and hear and see how things are done). So it's getting more interesting.

Good thing is that I get to meet new people from all over the world, I get paid (not a lot to European standards) and I am out there. Oh yeah, and seeing sunrise from the 16th floor on a clear cold day is quite something!

And it's a good thing I have something to do when T. is away to Poland.

3 Comments:

Blogger Stoffel said...

good to hear you are busy and meeting new people, i think that indeed will be one of the biggest advantages of your new job (just like with us in edinburgh!)
i saw your "i'm looking for a job" in the latest export-brief from FIT, so hopefully something might come out there (but don't hold your breath i would say)... cheerio!

11:00 AM  
Blogger E. Stilker said...

Didn't even know they published it again. They never replyed to my e-mails, so ... Anyways, it's good to know. We'll see if something comes out ...

7:50 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Super goed!!

Kan je geen stiekeme foto's van die zonsondergang nemen?? Please? ;)

3:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home